The institution began life in Hull in 1861 when the Hull School of Art opened. Endsleigh Training College opened on Inglemire Avenue in 1905 and the Central College of Commerce was founded six years later, moving ultimately to Cottingham Road where the university had its corporate headquarters until 2001. Further educational developments in the early part of the twentieth century included the opening of the School of Fishermen and Hull Training College. In 1935 the Hull School of Art was separated into three sections - one of which became the Hull School of Architecture. In 1976 all higher education provision in the city not provided by the University of Hull was consolidated to form Hull College of Higher Education. At around the same time courses in fishing, food, manufacturing were developed in Grimsby, and in 1983 these were absorbed by the newly formed Humberside College of Higher Education. Humberside College of Higher Education became an independent higher education corporation in 1989 and won polytechnic status a year later - the first to be created in the UK for over twenty years. Two short years later Humberside Polytechnic became Humberside University. For centuries the people of Lincoln, 50 miles to the south, had been calling for a university of their own. In 1993 a project company was set up and charged with realising this dream. The city and county raised £32 million to pay for the first stages of the new Lincoln University Campus, which was opened on what had been derelict former railway land by HM the Queen in October 1996. The new campus was transferred to the University of Humberside, which in turn changed its name to the University of Lincolnshire & Humberside. In 2001 the decision was taken to relocate the university's corporate headquarters from Hull to Lincoln, transfer the Cottingham Road campus in Hull to the University of Hull and consolidate all Hull-based activities in Hull city centre. To reflect these changes, on 8th October 2001 the university was renamed the University of Lincoln. Since the beginning of the project over £75 million has been invested in the university's main Lincoln campus. The Brayford Pool campus now boasts a £5m converted library, an £11m Media and Computing building, a £5.5m science laboratory facility, a £5.5m sports and leisure centre and a £10m architecture school. Future plans include converting a derelict engine shed into a student centre and arts centre and building a new home for the Lincoln Business School. In 2001 De Montfort University agreed to transfer all its Lincolnshire activities - the Lincoln School of Art and Design in uphill Lincoln and the Lincolnshire School of Agriculture in Riseholme, Caythorpe and Holbeach - to the University of Lincoln. The Caythorpe campus was closed in the summer of 2002 and all activities transferred to Riseholme Park. In Holbeach, meanwhile, a £2.8 million technology park has been developed in collaboration with Lincolnshire County Council.
University of Lincoln presently has no vacancies listed in our database.