MacMillan Breast Care Specialist Nurse
NHS AfC: Band 6
''A great place to be cared for; a great place to work''
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay has been nationally recognised as the UK’s most inclusive NHS organisation. As such we have a firm commitment to strengthening the diversity of our workforce, and therefore welcome and encourage applications from likeminded people who can support our ambition to become effortlessly inclusive. We are particularly keen to hear from protected groups – including BAME, LGBT+ and people with a disability.
Applications are invited from enthusiastic, well-motivated registered nurses to join our breast care clinical nurse specialist team based at Royal Lancaster Infirmary. The successful applicant be required to assess, plan, implement & evaluate individualised programmes of evidence based care providing specialist advice to patients, carers/relatives, and the multidisciplinary team on a specific clinical condition or topic.
The post holder will work collaboratively and co-operatively with clinical and non-clinical colleagues to develop/improve services and quality of care delivered across the health economy.
Main duties of the job
- The role of the Clinical Nurse Specialist is to:
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate programmes of evidence-based nursing care.
- Provide specialist advice to patients, carers/relatives, clinical practitioners and peers.
- Provide specialist education and training to others.
- Work collaboratively and co-operatively with clinical colleagues to develop services and quality of care delivered.
- Perform specialist nursing procedures.
- Proactively manage the support of patients who have attended for breast screening or have symptoms of breast cancer from pre diagnosis , undergoing treatment, through follow up and survivorship.
Working for our organisation
We operate from three main hospitals - Furness General Hospital (FGH) in Barrow, the Royal Lancaster Infirmary (RLI), and Westmorland General Hospital (WGH) in Kendal, as well as a number of community health care premises including Millom Hospital and GP Practice, Queen Victoria Hospital in Morecambe, and Ulverston Community Health Centre.
FGH and the RLI have a range of General Hospital services, with full Emergency Departments, Critical/Coronary Care units and various Consultant-led services.
WGH provides a range of General Hospital services, together with an Urgent Treatment Centre, that can help with a range of non-life threatening conditions such as broken bones and minor illnesses.
All three main hospitals provide a range of planned care including outpatients, diagnostics, therapies, day case and inpatient surgery. In addition, a range of local outreach services and diagnostics are provided from community facilities across Morecambe Bay.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
To read more information about the advertised role, and the main job duties/responsibilities please open the Job Description and Person Specification located under the supporting documents heading. You can also read more information about University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay visiting our website https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk/
Education and Qualifications
- 1st level registered nurse
- Post Basic qualification in specialist area
- Educated to degree level or undertaking degree pathway
- Relevant teaching qualification eg City & Guilds or Professional Trainers Certificate
- Educated to Masters Level
- Non Medical Prescriber
- Advanced Communication Skills course
- Relevant post-basic qualification experience
- Evidence of management and leadership experience
- Current knowledge and experience of caring for patients with condition related to speciality
- Evidence of teaching and developing staff
- Experience of and ability to work as a member of the multidisciplinary clinical team.
- Exercise a high degree of autonomy within specialist area
- Experience of carrying out a research project.
- Experience of gathering patient feedback and involvement in service improvement
- Experience and knowledge of cancer waiting times standards
Skills, Ability and Knowledge
- Knowledge of National/Local Cancer Strategy
- Knowledge of cancer peer review
- Up to date knowledge of the developments in appropriate area care
- Demonstrable basic and advanced clinical skills within specialist area.
- Knowledge of clinical governance and its application
- Awareness of the audit cycle
- Awareness of research and application to practice
- Ability to develop standards of care
- Committed to CPD of self and others
- Demonstrate people management skills including: Motivation of staff and team building Negotiation Decision Making Leadership Staff development Conflict and problem solving
- Ensures that own actions support equality, diversity, rights and maintain quality
- Understanding of current NHS issues and initiatives
- Ability to apply research into practice.
- Exceptional organisation and time management skills
- Competent in IT skills (in particular e-mail, use of databases, ability to manipulate data electronically, power point presentations)
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Adaptable to the changing needs of the service
- Self motivated, enthusiastic, innovative, flexible
- Able to deal with difficult and sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Alison Scott
- Job title
- Lead Nurse - Corporate Nursing
- Email address
- Telephone number