Registered Nurses - Acute Medical Unit
NHS AfC: Band 5
''Creating a great place to be cared for and a great place to work''
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay has a firm commitment to strengthening the diversity of our workforce, and therefore welcome and encourage applications from likeminded people who can support our ambition to become effortlessly inclusive. We are particularly keen to hear from protected groups – including BAME, LGBT+ and people with a disability.
Want a career in Acute Medicine?
Do you enjoy the challenges an acute medical assessment unit demands and would you like the opportunity to work within the emergency floor at RLI?
We have a number of vacancies on the Acute Medical Unit and we are looking for suitably qualified nurses to join this proactive team. Equally if you are a newly qualified nurse who would like a career in acute nursing but are worried that it may be too early in your career we are also happy to ensure you can work on the unit and support would be provided to ensure you flourish.
Main duties of the job
We are looking for qualified nurses to join our team.
The Emergency Floor supports lifelong learning and development and is committed to the continuing development of our trained nurses.
As a Registered Nurse you will be:
Able to actively assess, plan, implement & evaluate patient care with the multidisciplinary team, incorporating the whole of the patients’ pathway.
Aware of the structure and organisation of the NHS and regulatory body's code of practice implementing this into nursing practice.
Participate in Clinical Governance by participating in auditing effectiveness of practice and incorporating findings.
Act as mentor or assessor in supervising and teaching of junior staff and unregistered staff.
Act as shift leader or manage a team in the absence of the Ward/Dept Manager.
Working for our organisation
We operate from three main hospitals - Furness General Hospital (FGH) in Barrow, the Royal Lancaster Infirmary (RLI), and Westmorland General Hospital (WGH) in Kendal, as well as a number of community health care premises including Millom Hospital and GP Practice, Queen Victoria Hospital in Morecambe, and Ulverston Community Health Centre.
FGH and the RLI have a range of General Hospital services, with full Emergency Departments, Critical/Coronary Care units and various Consultant-led services.
WGH provides a range of General Hospital services, together with an Urgent Treatment Centre, that can help with a range of non-life threatening conditions such as broken bones and minor illnesses.
All three main hospitals provide a range of planned care including outpatients, diagnostics, therapies, day case and inpatient surgery. In addition, a range of local outreach services and diagnostics are provided from community facilities across Morecambe Bay.
Our community services for adults are provided in people’s homes, community centres, clinics, GP Practices, community hospitals and our main hospitals. Our aim is to work with people to help them remain independent, improve their health and manage their conditions through high quality care, advice and support.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
To read more information about the advertised role, and the main job duties/responsibilities please open the Job Description and Person Specification located under the supporting documents heading. You can also read more information about University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay visiting our website https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk/
Education and qualifications
- 1st level Registered Nurse
- Willingness to undertake Teaching Qualification, Mentoring / assessing qualification, NVQ Assessors Award
- Post registration clinical course appropriate to area
- ECDL or equivalent
- Working within a multidisciplinary team
- Evidence of recent professional development
- Experience of establishing effective communication
- Experience of implementing change
- Previous experience within designated area
- Experience of mentoring and assessing junior staff
- Experience as shift team leader
Skills, ability and knowledge
- Demonstrable/willingness to undertake specific clinical skills appropriate to speciality
- Ability to develop standards of care
- Ability to respond rapidly to emergency situations
- Ability to work as part of the multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to prioritise own workload and that of others
- Up to date knowledge of professional issues
- Understanding of current NHS issues
- Knowledge of Clinical Governance
- Effective teaching skills and /or mentoring skills
- IT skills – use of email, word processing, internet searching
- Effective leadership skills
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Cheryl Lewis
- Job title
- Staff Nurse
- Email address
- Telephone number
List jobs with University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust in Nursing and Midwifery