Staff Nurse Band 5 - Acute Medical Unit
Join us at an exciting time for Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust! We have recently been awarded an improved CQC rating of Good and are proud of what we’ve achieved. We have an ambitious plan for our journey to Outstanding and are looking for aspirational, committed individuals to join us, making a real difference to both staff and patients.
As a former winner of England for excellence award: Tourism destination of the year, the beautiful city of Gloucester and the scenic regency spa town of Cheltenham are fantastic places to work and live.
As a hospital Trust we are currently involved in over 100 clinical trials and studies, whilst also providing acute elective and specialist services to a population of over 620,000.
By joining Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust new colleagues can look forward to a warm welcome and a future full of opportunities and support.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Registered Nurse to work within acute medicine (AMU). This post will be crucial in helping us provide and deliver safe, effective, high quality patient care. Candidates are required to hold a valid 1st level registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
We are seeking enthusiastic, highly motivated individuals to be part of an innovative, multidisciplinary team involved in acute medicine. They must demonstrate organisational skills, research and evidence based practice. The successful candidate will possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a good understanding of admission and discharge processes to ensure effective patient flow.
Main duties of the job
This role will actively support the senior ward sister and nurse coordinator in the delivery of a high quality service to patients and their families in an ever changing and challenging acute clinical environment supported by a practice development nurse to provide professional development pathways within acute medicine. For further information and to hear of the benefits available surrounding the areas please contact Ward Managers.
Working for our organisation
The Acute Medical Unit (AMU) is a 50 bedded unit which currently incorporates the Gloucestershire Priority Admission Unit (GPAU). AMU/GPAU take admissions from ED, other outpatient departments and patients’ direct from GP’s. The unit is staffed by a large team of motivated and enthusiastic nurses who strive to deliver a high standard of care to patients and their families. The team work creatively and collaboratively to ensure a positive patient experience.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
KEY RESULT AREAS.
· The ability to lead a team in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care with the multidisciplinary team and provides leadership which inspires others.
· To communicate effectively especially where the patient ability to do so is compromised.
· To lead and deliver safe care within a challenging and changing clinical environment, using equipment and resources safely and as appropriate.
· To administer medication and treatment within procedure for the ordering, prescribing and administration of medication guidelines.
· In accordance with the data protection act, assist ward manager in maintaining accurate and up to date patient records.
· To ensure that patients admitted by GP and A&E are appropriate to the specialty and that transfers out of the acute assessment area are appropriate to our specific area. Please see job description for an extensive list.
- Registered Nurse Level 1
- A minimum one years post registration experience
- Work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team
- Show an understanding of research based practice.
- Assess patients needs, deliver appropriate care and evaluate the effectiveness of interventions.
- Contribute to creating a supportive learning environment with the unit
- Show an understanding of current issues in acute medicine
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Kate Humphris
- Job title
- Ward Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number