Theatre Health Care Support Worker
To work with supervision and guidance in providing and maintaining a high standard of patient care for those patients undergoing surgery. The post holder will be expected to undertake Peri-operative circulating duties as the need arises and work as part of a multi-professional team. The post holder will also be required to receive patients into the department, escort them to the anaesthetic room/theatre, providing comfort and support whilst maintaining respect, privacy and dignity and confidentiality
Main duties of the job
Here are some of the key responsibilities, included within your role:
- Sending for and receiving patients about to undergo surgery in liaison with the Lead Practitioner in Theatre.
- Assessing theatre workload levels and availability of Portering staff prior to sending for patients thereby ensuring the prompt arrival of patients within the department and reducing delays.
- Escort, and support, ambulant patients and assist with their transfer to trolley maintaining and respecting their privacy and dignity at all times.
- Assist with the safe transfer of patients from bed to trolley where necessary.
- Carrying out comprehensive pre-operative checks in line with the patient care plan, reporting any discrepancy to the Practitioner Lead in Theatre.
- To attend to and support patients in the holding area prior to their departure to the anaesthetic room.
Working for our organisation
The Diagnosis and Treatment Centre was sent up in 2005 to cater for predominately Day Case Surgery and Endoscopy. Over the last few years we have proved so successful we have expanded to add another theatre and endoscopy room we have changed our pre-op area to meet the Government target for single sex accommodation.
The DTC also houses the Candover Suite for Private Patients and the Breast Screening unit. Whilst the DTC started off as predominately day surgery, it does have a short stay ward, however, the theatres are able to accommodate most procedures and if the patient needs a longer stay than we cater for then we transfer post-surgery to an appropriate in-patient ward. Within Endoscopy we have one room for interventional procedures such as ERCP, Spyglass procedures, EBUS to name a few.
The unit sees over 15,000 patients per year from Local Anaesthetics to regional blocks to General Anaesthetics – who said Day Surgery was boring!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Further information about the Trust and this role can be found on the Job Description and Person Specification document attached.
Training & Qualifications
- Literacy level 1 or equivalent (GCSE D-G).
- Numeracy level 1 or equivalent (GCSE D-G)
- ESOL level 1 or equivalent (if English not first language).
- BPP apprenticeship
- NVQ level 2 or equivalent or above in Health or Health and Social Care or working towards an award
- ESOL level 2 or equivalent (if English not first language).
Experience & Knowledge
- Effective communication skills, written and verbal
- Previous direct patient care skills/experience as an HCA in an acute setting/Theatre
- Understanding NHS/Social care systems
Skills & Ability
- To be able to demonstrate the required behaviour in keeping with the Trust Values
- Ability to work as part of a Team
- Approachable demeanour
- Flexible and professional attitude
- Proven reliability
- Good General Health/ attendance record
- Ability to stand for long periods
- previous experience of working in a theatre environment
Other Specific Requirements
- Ability to adjust to pressures of the job in a changing environment.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to undertake further training
- Be able to demonstrate patience, dependability
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Katie Warwick
- Job title
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Sister Cherrylyn Tauro