Team Leader - Ophthalmology
NHS AfC: Band 6
Here at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud to deliver high quality, compassionate care to our community.
The East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust Ophthalmology service compromises of Adult and Paediatric outpatients, Urgent eye care, day surgery, pre-operative services and diagnostic hubs across 3 different sites. We see and treat patients with a wide variety of ocular disease.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced ophthalmic nurse to join our ophthalmology team based at Lister hospital. We are looking to appoint enthusiastic and motivated specialist nurse who has an interest in developing their skills in ophthalmology. You should be a committed professional with the passion and drive to provide the highest quality ophthalmic care to their patients.
We work very closely with our medical team and all health care professionals and this is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced nurse who is dynamic, friendly and who strives to provide an excellent standard of care.
You will be required to have experience of caring for patients with a range of ophthalmic conditions and experience of nurse led clinics. Recent Ophthalmology experience is essential.
We are committed to developing and supporting our nurses, you will be supported every staff of your ophthalmology career pathway by our clinical senior team. You will need to be flexible and will need to rotate within our other ophthalmic sites.
Main duties of the job
The post holder is responsible for the assessment and planning of care needs and the development, implementation and evaluation of programmes of care.
You may be designated to take charge of the department both in the outpatient and day surgery setting.
You are expected to supervise junior staff and to teach qualified and unqualified staff, supporting development, progression and implementation of ophthalmic developments.
Working for our organisation
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general and specialist services we provide and our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation and our staff and patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In the paragraphs above you have read an overview about the role we would like to offer and general information about main duties of the post holder. Please see attached – job description which describes in full details the duties, responsibilities and reporting relationships of the advertising role.
Main role requirements are below but for the full details please refer to attached a person specification.
1. To be responsible for the unsupervised assessment of patient care needs and the development, implementation and evaluation of plans of care, ensuring high standards of evidence based care using a defined model of care.
2. To undertake all nursing procedures in accordance with Trust policies and
ensure that these procedures and policies are understood and adhered to by all staff, within own management responsibility.
3. To communicate with patients and significant others with empathy and
reassurance regarding, assessment, care and treatment.
4. To maintain accurate and comprehensive nursing records using appropriate documentation.
5. To accurately record visual acuity using a Snellen or Logmar chart and
understand the implications in relation to patients care.
6. To be proficient in measuring intraocular pressures on patients prior to
dilatation using contact tonometry with a slit lamp/I Care and
accurately record results in patients notes.
7. Carry out detailed pre- op assessment on patients listed for surgery and
perform auto keratometry and Biometry on all patients listed for Cataract
surgery understanding the importance of the results of these tests and reporting all discrepancies to the consultant.
8. Provide Ophthalmic Nurse-led services such as pre-assessment and
fluorescein clinics which involves cannulation of patients setting of infusion
pump and the administration of iv fluorescein and in the PDT Photodynamic
setting of infusion pump verteporfin. Provide support and care to patients
undergoing fluorescein angiography and Photodynamic therapy .
9. to work towards carrying out fundus photography on patients attending retinal clinics and ensure all results are accurately recorded and available for clinic. Under supervision, undertake primary grading of diabetic retinal photographs.
10. To undertake extended roles as the service and individual needs dictate with full support and training from senior staff.
11. To assess all ophthalmic patients referred to the clinic as an emergency and be competent in assessing their ophthalmic condition and carrying out emergency ophthalmic treatment.
12. Provide support and training to junior members of staff in visual fields testing using the Humphrey visual fields analyser and disc photography for patients attending the Eye clinic for Glaucoma screening.
- Registered Nurse Part 1
- BSc degree in a health related subject or evidence of equivalent experience
- Mentorship Qualification
- Ophthalmic Nurse Qualification
- Understanding of research based practice
- Intravitreal Injector (2 sessions)
- Demonstrates an awareness of role of facilitator
- Demonstrates an awareness of delivering compassionate and patient centred care
- Able to prioritise own workload and that of others as appropriate.
- Performing Biometry, A scan, and Pre assessment for ophthalmic patients.
- Able to work under own initiative within boundaries of role
- Demonstrates awareness of evidence based practice
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, Good Leadership skills
- Good planning, prioritisation and Organisational skills. Detailed history taking Extended clinical skills, Including venepuncture or willingness to learn
- Ability to perform eye Assessment ( Slit lamp skill, Eye pressure using Goldman Tonometer and AC check), or willingness to learn
- Relevant ophthalmic Experience: (familiar with corneal, adnexal, cataract, glaucoma, vitreoretinal surgical procedures and urgent care)
- Demonstrates awareness of audit and quality issues
- Demonstrates ability to develop junior colleagues in this field of specialist practice
- Awareness of strategies for maintaining a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors
- Knowledge of appropriate specialist nursing care requirements
- Resource management awareness
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Karen Glass
- Job title
- Senior Clinical Nurse Specialist Ophthalmology
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
0143828112 ext 8112