Named Nurse Child Protection
NHS AfC: Band 8a
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust cares for the population in Harrogate and the local area as well as across North Yorkshire and Leeds. We also provide children’s services in the North East in County Durham, Darlington, Middlesbrough, Stockton-on-Tees, Gateshead and Sunderland.
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust is one of only two trusts in Yorkshire and Humber to be awarded HSJ’s Top 100 Best Places to Work. We believe that You Matter Most, and this is reflected in our values of Responsible, Respectful and Passionate. So if you’re looking for an interesting and rewarding career in the NHS, where you can make a real difference to patients’ lives, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust is the place for you.
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust have an exciting opportunity for a full-time band 8a Named Nurse Child Protection for Middlesbrough and Sunderland Safeguarding Children Team.
We are looking for individuals who already have expert knowledge and experience in relation to safeguarding children and have the skills to have management oversight of a local Safeguarding Team as well as the wider Safeguarding Children HDFT Team. The Named Nurse will support the Deputy Head of Safeguarding children and the Head of Safeguarding Children to fulfil HDFT responsibilities in order to protect children, staff and the public which is set out in the DOH Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018 document. The Named Nurse will be pivotal in ensuring HDFT meets our quality and governance requirements for CQC and Joint Targeted area inspections.
Main duties of the job
We are looking for individuals who already have expert knowledge and experience in relation to safeguarding children and have the skills to have management oversight of a local Safeguarding Team as well as the wider Safeguarding Children HDFT Team.
Establish effective working relationships and networks with all professionals and agencies contributing to safeguarding of children and young people.
Using good levels of knowledge of child development, the law and good knowledge about risks identify when there is a need to professionally challenge a decision.
To support the Safeguarding Children's Team in the delivery of safeguarding children training
Provide advice and support to partner agencies, health visitors, school nurses and 0-25 managers.
Provide advice to Health Professionals and Professionals in other agencies about health needs and signpost to the appropriate health provider, referring to Senior members of the Safeguarding Children team as appropriate.
Working for our organisation
At Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust we provide outstanding care to both our patients and our staff. We support staff through benefits, health and wellbeing initiatives and opportunities for personal and professional development.
- An inclusive and supportive culture our Trust encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work and active Staff Networks identify areas for improvement.
- Staff Recognition - as well as regular appraisals, we recognise staff with our Making a Difference, Team of the Month Awards & Colleague Recognition Awards
- Employee Support and wellbeing - we have a comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme, counselling service and fast track physiotherapy service for employees.
- Staff Benefits - We have a range of staff benefits and schemes to support staff health, engagement, wellbeing and inclusion.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Due to Covid restrictions working from home is encouraged however this will be under constant review.
Please see the Job Description and Personal Specification attached.
If you have any questions about this position please do not hesitate to contact us.
The footprint covers:
North Yorkshire, Stockton, Middleborough, Darlington, Durham, Sunderland and Gateshead.
The large footprint is highly conducive to career development.
At present the majority of work will be from home due to COVID-19 restrictions
For further infomration on the position please contact Claire Wallace, Deputy Head of Safeguarding Children on 07770734941 or at email@example.com
- Current NMC Registration
- Registered Specialist Community Public Health Nurse or Degree level nurse with experience as a Specialist Nurse Child Protection or evidence of having experience as a Safeguarding Lead at band 7 or above
- Qualification at Masters level or evidence of equivalent Safeguarding experience/Knowledge
- Experience at a managerial level.
- Experience in developing needs led services for vulnerable children and their families
- Experience at completing Child safeguarding Practice reviews
- Evidence of Deputising for 8b or above
- Experience of working at a Strategic level
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Claire Wallace
- Job title
- Deputy Head of Safeguarding Children
- Email address
- Telephone number