Clinical Skills Trainer, Band 5
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust is proud to provide community, mental health and learning disability services and acute hospital services from Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton. Our mission is to deliver outstanding care through a culture of listening, learning and continuous improvement. Over 9,000 colleagues work for our trust in a very wide range of services and we aim to provide a supportive, inclusive environment in which our colleagues can thrive. We are working towards merging our trust with Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in order to provide consistent and accessible services across Somerset and better supporting people in our county to maintain their health and wellbeing. We are proud to be the Health Service Journal Mental Health Trust of the Year.
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust are embarking on new and collaborative models to support and attract new entrants to health and social care, by the creation of our Somerset Workforce Talent Hub. Our hub will enable us to recruit, retain and develop talented people within our communities – nurturing and preparing our future workforce to work across the Somerset health and social care system in an agile way.
As a Clinical Skills Trainer you will be seen as a wealth of knowledge & support for your team and will become an integral part of the Talent Hub. You will provide clinical skills training and competency assessment to colleagues recruited via the varied workforce programmes.
You will support colleagues by ensuring they are trained to provide a safe and effective service, including vaccination across Somerset and direct patient contact activities that support with daily living within community or hospital settings.
If you are passionate about influencing and improving patient care through education, then join our team and be part of this new and exciting way of working. Full training and support will be provided. Informal discussions welcome.
Main duties of the job
To assist with and become an integral part of the Somerset System Care Workforce Talent Hub by providing clinical skills training and competency assessment to colleagues recruited to the Workforce Talent Hub.
You will support colleagues by ensuring they are trained to provide a safe and effective service, including Vaccination across Somerset FT Trust and direct patient contact activities that support with daily living within community or hospital settings.
Work with learning administrators to ensure the attendees and relevant registers/competence records are completed and passed for entry to the system on a daily basis.
Develop and deliver both national frameworks and local training to individuals, or small groups or teams providing specialist advice as and when required.
Provide practical support to front line teams with the implementation of vaccination Standard Operating Procedures at a local level to ensure consistent high quality service.
Deliver established teaching topics to individuals/groups of learners in various settings, to include ward/classroom/ teams.
As and when required, assist in the induction, supervision and training of Healthcare Support Workers at Band 2 & 3s, student Assistant Practitioners & TNA’s and student nurses with the training of the National Early Warning Scoring system (NEWS), fluid balance, vital signs, SBAR and Sepsis training and delivery of patient care.
See JD for further info.
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan – there is truly something for everyone!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Work with the Training co-ordinator for the Talent Hub and under the Clinical supervision of the Clinical Skills Facilitator team to deliver vaccination skills training and assess vaccinator competency across the Somerset vaccination clinic sites.
- Work with the training administrators to ensure the attendees and relevant registers/competence records are completed and passed for entry to the system on a daily basis
- Develop and deliver both national frameworks and local training to individuals, or small groups or teams providing specialist advice as required on Covid-19 vaccination
- Provide practical support to front line teams with the implementation of vaccination Standard Operating Procedures at a local level to ensure consistent high quality service.
- Please see JD for further information
- Registered Health Professional
- Recognised teaching qualification or willingness to work towards a level 3 Education & Training Award
- Has completed the FutureLearn Train the Healthcare Trainer course – or willingness to do so
- Mentoring or equivalent qualification
- A good understanding of health and social care models.
- Basic knowledge of NHS legislation, including confidentiality, health and safety, manual handling and data protection
- Fundamental understanding of the topics required to teach
- Experience in clinical teaching or mentoring at Band 5 or above.
- Experienced in the use of IT applications, specifically experience Microsoft programmes including Teams
- Experience of working across organisational boundaries in a health care setting.
- Experience of multi-disciplinary team working.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Alphonsa Mose
- Job title
- Training Coordinator
- Email address
- Telephone number