Bank Care Assistant - Heatherwood, Frimley Park & Wexham Park Hospital
We will be holding Healthcare Assistant interviews via MS Teams.
We are looking for Care Assistants to join our Bank team across Frimley Health, at Frimley Park, Wexham Park and Heatherwood Hospitals.
You will be working across a variety of areas and wards across the trust and this is a great way to learn more about the Trust as well as giving you the opportunity to broaden your experience. You will need to have some experience as a Care Assistant and be willing to work as part of a busy but supportive team.
Main duties of the job
In various departments you will assist members of the multi-disciplinary team to maintain patient’s basic needs and ensure patient safety, supporting with a range of non-clinical duties.
As part of our temporary staffing service you will have the flexibility to work at times and in locations that suit you, helping you achieve a good work/life balance. You will also have access to a full programme of training and a range of employee benefits.
If you are currently employed by Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust as a HCA you do not need to apply. Please contact us for more information and to enrol on the bank.
Considerable Care Assistant experience in a hospital or nursing home setting is required.
Previous applicants need not apply.
Working for our organisation
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust provides NHS hospital services for around 900,000 people across Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey and south Buckinghamshire.
As well as delivering excellent general hospital services to local people, we provide specialist heart attack, vascular, stroke, spinal, cystic fibrosis and plastic surgery services across a much wider area.
We have three main hospitals - Frimley Park in Frimley near Camberley, Heatherwood in Ascot and Wexham Park near Slough.
Our three core values, and the behaviours that support them, guide everything we do and set out what we expect of our staff in the way they treat patients, visitors, service users and each other, Committed to Excellence, Working Together and Facing the Future.
We are also proud to host the Defence Medical Group South East at Frimley Park with military surgical, medical and nursing personnel working alongside the hospital's NHS staff providing care to patients in all specialties
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
As an important member of the team, the post holder will provide support to nursing, midwifery and medical staff in the direct provision of patient care.
To provide a range of healthcare and non-nursing duties, ensuring an efficient and effective service to the ward/department at all times.
To enable patients/clients to maintain their personal hygiene and appearance by:-
- Assisting patients with bathing, dressing, oral hygiene, bed making etc
- Enabling/facilitating patients to meet their own hygiene need
Contribute to the movement and comfort of patients/clients by:- Encouraging and assisting patients/clients in mobilisation
Assisting with the movement of patients, for which instruction has been given, taking into consideration patient comfort and safety.
Using equipment, for which instruction has been given, to mobilise/move patients.
Assisting patients/clients to achieve physical comfort.
Recognising the risks to patients/clients who are not able to change their own position.
Identifying and reporting possible problems and changes in a patient’s/client’s condition
Enable patients/clients to eat and drink by :-
- Assisting in menu selection, liaising with trained staff regarding special diets, and being sensitive to cultural requirements.
- Helping patients who require assistance, to eat and drink
- Serving patients meals and beverages, removing all dirty utensils from patient areas.
- Recording fluid intake/output as required
Contribute to the management of patient/client continence by:-
- Encouraging clients/patients to maintain continence
- Supporting clients/patients in the management of continence
- Emptying catheter and stoma bags as directed
Receive, transmit, store and receive information relating to the delivery of a care service by:-
- Keeping the team leader informed of all changes in a patients condition.
- Ensuring that all relevant paperwork is ready prior to patient admission.
- Utilising the PAS [or equivalent] system as appropriate
- Answering the department telephone and record/deliver messages accurately.
- Providing clerical support where required
Ensure that ward stores/stock supply is maintained by:-
- Assisting with the ordering of supplies and recording the receipt of stock.
- Monitoring the efficient storage of supplies and the maintenance of appropriate stock levels.
Contribute to the health, safety and security of patients and their environment by:-
- Ensuring the tidiness and cleanliness of patient bed areas and associated equipment
- Stripping, cleaning and making beds/couches/trolleys, after patients’ discharge.
- Dealing with the disposal of soiled linen and refuse as per hospital policy.
- Following hospital policies with regard to the control of infection.
- Monitoring and checking all ward equipment and ensuring that the appropriate requisition for any repairs [to Estates Office] are completed, and that the team leader is informed
- Providing for the health safety and wellbeing of the patient/client during escort duties; such as transferring from one area to another; or when undertaking a messenger service to other parts of the Trust.
- Assisting the rehabilitation of patients, utilising physical and psychological stimulus and appropriate resources
Assist with Last Offices where and when required
Assist the professional staff to prepare and undertake agreed clinical activities by:-
- Collecting urine and faecal samples as required, and testing urine when requested
- Undertaking collection of swabs for culture and sensitivity when requested
- Undertaking patients’ catheter care,
- Recording and reporting patients’ physical measurements as directed by the team leader eg. pulse, temperature, respiration rate, blood pressure, bowel status etc.
Assist in maintaining the high standards of the department by:- contributing towards individual and team objectives.
- carrying out other duties required by the Unit Manager commensurate with the grade.
- educated to GCSE level or equivalent
- Clear written communication skills
- Relevant HCA experience
- Experience in hospital or nursing home
- Customer care experience
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Resourcing Team
- Job title
- Bank Recruitment
- Email address