Urgent Care Nurse
NHS AfC: Band 6
Welcome from our Chief Executive
Our organisation is expanding and we're looking for people with the right values, skills and/or potential to join us. We need people with energy, expertise, enthusiasm to help us provide the very best possible specialist NHS mental health and learning disability care. This involves helping us achieve our strategy to improve the quality of life for the communities we serve through People, Prevention and Partnerships.
So what can we offer you in return?
We're an organisation which puts people first. We'll do everything possible to help you feel respected, valued and included. We'll help you learn, acquire new skills and gain further experience to support your career development. And we'll provide the opportunity for you to bring your fresh ideas to work about how we can do things differently and continue improving.
You will also be joining a health and care system committed to working together to do the best we can for the communities we serve. Above all, at Sussex Partnership you'll have the chance to make a difference to the lives of the patients, carers and families across our communities.
If you like the sound of that, then come and join our team.
Are you a Registered Mental Health Nurse who is interested in a person-centred mental health practitioner role?
Is a role where you can provide a safe and calm space for people suffering from mental health crisis appealing to you?
If so, our Urgent Care Practitioner vacancy in our Haven at Mill View Hospital could be just the role for you!
The Haven is a 24/7 crisis assessment unit located on the Mill View hospital site in Hove, providing an alternative to A&E to provide a comprehensive biopsychosocial crisis assessment for any adult aged 18 or over who is not subject to the Mental Health Act.
The Haven team were Gold Award winners at our Trust Positive Practice Awards in November and we are very proud of the positive feedback from people who have used the Haven.
To protect the health and safety of our staff/workers, patients, and those attending our sites, we encourage our workforce to get fully vaccinated against COVID
This post offers a Golden Hello, or a Relocation package up to a maximum of £2000. (pro rata applies and subject to terms and conditions. Please see attached Protocol document).
Main duties of the job
As an Urgent Care Practitioner in The Haven, your priority will be to ensure the safety of service users in crisis. You will complete the assessment of the individual’s needs and risks, accurately recording and communicating this information.
Our work is fast-paced as we do not hold caseloads, however you will have support from senior practitioners, a consultant and will work closely with a Psychologist in our team. We are a small 4-bed unit with 2 practitioners (band 6 or 7) and a Healthcare Assistant (Band 2) on shift at any given time.
We work closely with our inpatient and community mental health teams across the Trust and have developed excellent working relationships with the emergency services who refer people to us and we are continuing to develop bespoke crisis plans.
The Haven is at the forefront of our ambition to provide patient-centred care, providing people with a calm, safe and nurturing space for them to receive treatment and recover from mental health crisis.
Working for our organisation
Sussex Partnership provides mental health and learning disability care for all age groups across Sussex and for children and young people in Hampshire.
We encourage flexible working. We know that a positive work/ life balance brings about huge health-related benefits, which has a positive impact on the care we provide. Please speak to us about flexible working, for example, home-working, part time hours, flexible start/ finish times or anything else. If it works for you and works for the role, we'll do our best to make it happen.
We’d love you to join our Trust, rated ‘good’ overall and ‘outstanding’ for caring by the CQC. Our staff agree, in our recent staff survey 82% told us that they recognise that care for patients is our top priority.
Other key survey results:
- 70% highlighting flexible working as a key point for satisfaction at work
- 79% reporting feeling able to make suggestions to improve the work in their team
- 77% identifying opportunities to show initiative in their roles
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
In order to be a successful Urgent Care Practitioner in our team you will be:
- Registered with the NMC or HCPC via a core professional qualification – Applications are welcomed from OT’s, Nurses and Social Workers
- Experienced working in mental health services
- Knowledgeable of factors which can impact on safety and service user experience
It would also be advantageous if you have:
- Experience in an Urgent Care setting
- Worked in a newly established team/ service
As we look to complete our recruitment for this new service, we are seeking confident, kind and experienced mental health practitioners to join our small and committed team at the Haven. We have excellent opportunities for professional development, supervision, reflective practice and leadership for all members of the Haven team.
As we are a 24-hour service, we work a variety of shifts including days, nights and weekends/ bank holidays. This means there is the opportunity to increase your earning potential through the unsocial hours payments as detailed at: https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/unsocial-hours-payments - We would be happy to discuss shifts patterns with you before you apply, please contact us on the details below.
See attached Job Description and Person Specification for full details.
Please apply using the link in this advert, or for more information explore the attachments.
(We are happy to arrange informal visits – currently Covid dependant)
- Registered Nurse with current registration [mental health/LD/Adult], appropriate to the job role
- Completion of Mentorship Course/ENB equivalent
- Evidence of continuous professional development
Knowledge & Experience
- Significant post qualifying experience in the relevant care group
- Experience of working alongside people with complex health problems in the designated care group
- Experience of supervising staff
- Experience of providing a range of clinical interventions to people in the designated care group with a variety of health problems
- Experience of working consultatively with professionals
- Experience of conducting clinical assessments including risk assessments
- Experience of partnership working within and across various statutory and non statutory teams and agencies
- Experience of working within the CPA process
- Understanding of clinical governance
- Contribute to the implementation of services
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Lucy Sankar
- Job title
- Team Leader
- Email address